Teen charged with murder after Lexington park shooting kills 16-year-old

An 18-year-old has been charged with murder and assault after a shooting at a Lexington, Kentucky, community celebration killed a 16-year-old and wounded four others, including two children.

In short

  • An 18-year-old has been charged with murder and assault after a shooting at a Lexington, Kentucky, community celebration killed a 16-year-old and wounded four others, including two children.
Teenager charged with murder after mass shooting at Kentucky park
Teenager charged with murder after mass shooting at Kentucky park

Authorities in Lexington, Kentucky, have charged an 18-year-old man with murder after a shooting at a community event left a 16-year-old boy dead and four other people wounded.

Lexington police said officers responded to reports of gunfire at Charles Young Park at about 7 p.m. on Saturday, August 15, 2026. Five people had been shot during the East End Day celebration, including two adults, a 14-year-old and a four-year-old.

The Fayette County coroner’s office identified the teenager who died as Di’Zhon Robertson. The other four victims were injured; the available reports did not provide a current condition for each of them.

Police arrested Jametrius Griffin less than 24 hours after the shooting. He faces one murder charge, two counts of first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree assault and a charge of tampering with physical evidence. The charges are allegations, and the source report did not describe a plea or court ruling.

Local community group One Lexington said counsellors would be available at area high schools on Monday to support students following the violence.

The case remains under investigation. No motive was stated in the available source material.