Canada vows matching tariffs after U.S. trade talks collapse
Canada said it would match new 50% U.S. tariffs dollar for dollar after extended negotiations failed, escalating a trade dispute between the two closely linked economies.
In short
- Canada said it would match new 50% U.S.
- tariffs dollar for dollar after extended negotiations failed, escalating a trade dispute between the two closely linked economies.

Canada has pledged to retaliate against new 50% U.S. tariffs after negotiations between the neighbouring countries ended without an agreement late on Friday, August 21, 2026.
Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada would match the duties “dollar for dollar” to protect Canadian workers and businesses. He accused Washington of making last-minute changes that Canada considered unfair and economically unacceptable. The U.S. trade representative, Jamieson Greer, gave a different account, saying Canada had stepped back from commitments and declined terms offered by Washington.
The U.S. measures cover about $20 billion worth of Canadian products, according to reports by The Guardian and Al Jazeera. The affected trade represents roughly 5% of Canada’s annual exports to the United States. Canadian negotiators had sought concessions covering steel, aluminium, vehicles and lumber, but the sides did not bridge their differences during a three-day extension of talks.
The dispute raises fresh uncertainty for businesses operating across the highly integrated North American market. The United States and Canada exchanged about $880 billion in goods and services last year, and supply chains in manufacturing, agriculture and consumer goods frequently cross the border.
Carney said further assistance for affected Canadian workers and companies would be announced in the coming days. No additional negotiations had been scheduled immediately after the talks ended.


