High Court Allows Rugby Brain-Injury Claims to Continue
More than 500 rugby brain-injury claims can proceed after a London High Court judge declined to end the cases over missing medical records, while imposing conditions for the documents to be produced.
In short
- More than 500 rugby brain-injury claims can proceed after a London High Court judge declined to end the cases over missing medical records, while imposing conditions for the documents to be produced.

More than 500 former rugby union and rugby league players can continue legal claims over alleged brain injuries after the High Court in London declined on Friday, August 21, 2026, to end the cases because of missing medical records.
Judge Jeremy Cook ruled that the litigation should proceed, subject to conditions requiring production of the outstanding documents. He said the individual claimants were not responsible for the disclosure failures and described the cases as having public importance beyond the individual disputes because they could affect how rugby is conducted at professional and amateur levels.
World Rugby, the Rugby Football Union and the Welsh Rugby Union, together with the Rugby Football League and the British Amateur Rugby League Association, had argued that the claimants’ former lawyers repeatedly failed to supply key records. They sought a ruling that would bring more than 500 claims across the two codes to an end.
Lawyers for the former players said most of the required material had been provided. A further hearing will determine the conditions attached to continuation of the cases.
The broader litigation involves almost 800 former rugby union players and more than 300 former rugby league players. The claimants allege that repeated concussive and sub-concussive impacts caused serious neurological conditions and that the governing bodies failed in a duty to protect them from long-term risks.
The governing bodies dispute the claims. World Rugby has argued in its defence that injury is an inherent risk of the sport and contests that the alleged duty of care extended to long-term neurological harm.
Friday’s decision does not resolve those allegations. It keeps the cases moving toward trial while requiring the outstanding evidence to be supplied.



