Former boxing champion Zolani Tete shot dead in South Africa
Former two-division boxing titleholder Zolani Tete was killed outside his home in South Africa’s Eastern Cape on August 21, 2026.
In short
- Former two-division boxing titleholder Zolani Tete was killed outside his home in South Africa’s Eastern Cape on August 21, 2026.

Former boxing world champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete was shot dead outside his home in South Africa’s Eastern Cape province on Friday, August 21, 2026. He was 38.
Police said Tete was arriving at his house in Mdantsane township when two masked men got out of a vehicle and opened fire. He was declared dead at the scene. A 27-year-old woman who was with him was also shot and taken to hospital.
Investigators said the motive was not yet known and appealed to the public for information. No arrest was reported in the source accounts available to AddisMizan.
Tete fought 34 professional bouts and held major titles in two weight divisions, winning the IBF junior-bantamweight title in 2014 and a bantamweight title in 2017. He was also recognized for the fastest knockout in a world-title bout.
South Africa’s sports minister, Gayton McKenzie, and the World Boxing Council issued tributes and condolences. McKenzie said Tete had been training for a possible return to the ring.



